Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Non-attachment

With my new, most challenging crop of students, I have been thinking a lot about the concept of non-attachment.  Every Thursday, I walk into class feeling that being completely detached is the only way to survive, and also that being completely detached is the worst thing I could do for these students.

Today I came across this blog post about the nature of non-attachment.  In it, Sandra Pawla writes that when you understand non-attachment:


  • Emotions arise, but you have space.  You have perspective.  Emotions don’t catch and torment you every time.
That is it.  That is the crux of what I wasn't getting.  I thought cultivating a calm non-attachment in the face of a room full of challenge was to shut it all down, to put my hands over my eyes and get down in a defensive crouch.  But the answer is to open and soften my eyes and stand, strong and flexible and present.  It is a daily practice which begins with a few minutes of awareness of breath every day.  

Last week, I kicked two students out of my class.  One went without argument, clearly upset but keeping it in check for a more appropriate time and place.  The second -- well, she would. not.  leave.  I found myself getting increasingly angered and frustrated that this person was taking up time I should be using to teach to draw attention to herself.  For a moment, I was caught and tormented by anger, unable to handle anything else in the room.  I had it on the tip of my mind and heart to give up, just let her stay and I could struggle through the last hour of class in anger.  I took a breath.  And another breath.  And stood up straight, and repeated, calmly, "Leave."  Then I turned back to the group of students I was helping and continued my work.  She left.  

Although there is no victory in someone disrupting learning enough to be removed from the space, there was a small bit of growth in standing -- strong, flexible and present -- while that little bit of chaos washed over me.  There is also a small bit of growth in the knowing and acknowledging my own sadness and concern about that one human being.  That kind of cry for attention comes from a deep ache, and I can't help but have compassion for her on a human level.  

Still, the gift of non-attachment that draws me into a compassionate place, also gives me strength to do what I feel is the greater good in the moment.  I hope, for the rest of this term, that I don't have to exercise this gift in this way again.





2 comments:

  1. AHIT’s Entire Team always strive to provide the best solutions to its end users with quality services and products.We are pleased to announce that we have successfully delivered 108 projects to our users where website designing/development, SEO and its outsourcing services were solely AHIT’s responsibility.

    To learn more connect with us on our facebook page. Click on the Facebook Icon at the bottom and connect with us.
    https://ahitechno.com/
    https://ahitechno.com/contact-us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unique Jewelry Selling & Buying Platform for showcasing the potential of trending designs and traditional legacy to overseas Jewelry Lov
    www.diwamjewels.com
    www.diwamjewels.com/category/rings

    ReplyDelete